ePrints@IIScePrints@IISc Home | About | Browse | Latest Additions | Advanced Search | Contact | Help

Improving global participation in the sigcse technical symposium

Settle, A and Becker, BA and Duran, R and Kumar, V and Luxton-Reilly, A (2020) Improving global participation in the sigcse technical symposium. In: Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ITiCSE, 11-14 MARCH 2020, United States, pp. 483-484.

acm_tec_sym_com_sci_edu_483-484_2020.pdf - Published Version

Download (1MB) | Preview
Official URL: https://dx.doi.org/10.1145/3328778.3366979


SIGCSE is a global organization with members from well over 100 countries, but attendance at SIGCSE conferences is not always reflective of membership as a whole 5. Attendance at the SIGCSE Technical Symposium (called the Symposium here) is overwhelmingly from the United States, with more than 92% of all attendees in recent years having a U.S. affiliation. Roughly half of the remaining 8% of attendees come from Canada with only 4% of attendees from the rest of the world, as shown in Figure 1. Researchers from the U.S. co-author 86.80% of all Symposium contributions, which includes 79.10% of all Symposium papers and 92.90% of all other Symposium contributions. This is well above what one would expect from SIGCSE membership which is on average 80% American. There is reason to be concerned with geographic representation at SIGCSE conferences. Conferences are the most common outlet for research in the computing education community, and if participation is geographically limited the research will not include or reach everyone it should. One of the benefits of conference attendance is networking, and the absence of SIGCSE members from certain countries may be impeding innovation for the community as a whole. SIGCSE conferences are also a driver for membership, which is crucial for the health and future of the organization.

Item Type: Conference Paper
Publication: Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ITiCSE
Publisher: Association for Computing Machinery
Additional Information: cited By 0; Conference of 51st ACM SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, SIGCSE 2020 ; Conference Date: 11 March 2020 Through 14 March 2020; Conference Code:157964
Keywords: Computer science; Computers, Attendance; Inclusiveness; International; Membership; Participation; Sigcse; Special interest groups; Symposium, Education computing
Department/Centre: Division of Mechanical Sciences > Divecha Centre for Climate Change
Date Deposited: 14 Aug 2020 13:45
Last Modified: 14 Aug 2020 13:45
URI: http://eprints.iisc.ac.in/id/eprint/64968

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item