ePrints@IIScePrints@IISc Home | About | Browse | Latest Additions | Advanced Search | Contact | Help

Bimodal distribution of motility and cell fate in Dictyostelium discoideum

Goury-Sistla, Pavana and Nanjundiah, Vidyanand and Pande, Gopal (2012) Bimodal distribution of motility and cell fate in Dictyostelium discoideum. In: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY, 56 (4). pp. 263-272.

[img] PDF
int_jou_dev_bio_56-4_263-272_2012.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (1MB) | Request a copy
Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1387/ijdb.113384ps


Pre-starvation amoebae of Dictyostelium discoideum exhibit random movements. Starved cells aggregate by directed movements (chemotaxis) towards cyclic AMP and differentiate into live spores or dead stalk cells. Many differences between presumptive spore and stalk cells precede differentiation. We have examined whether cell motility-related factors are also among them. Cell speeds and localisation of motility-related signalling molecules were monitored by live cell imaging and immunostaining (a) in nutrient medium during growth, (b) immediately following transfer to starvation medium and (c) in nutrient medium that was re-introduced after a brief period of starvation. Cells moved randomly under all three conditions but mean speeds increased following transfer from nutrient medium to starvation medium; the transition occurred within 15 min. The distribution of speeds in starvation medium was bimodal: about 20% of the cells moved significantly faster than the remaining 80%. The motility-related molecules F-actin, PTEN and PI3 kinase were distributed differently in slow and fast cells. Among starved cells, the calcium content of slower cells was lower than that of the faster cells. All differences reverted within 15 min after restoration of the nutrient medium. The slow/fast distinction was missing in Polysphondylium pallidum, a cellular slime mould that lacks the presumptive stalk and spore cell classes, and in the trishanku (triA(center dot)) mutant of D. discoideum, in which the classes exist but are unstable. The transition from growth to starvation triggers a spontaneous and reversible switch in the distribution of D. discoideum cell speeds. Cells whose calcium content is relatively low (known to be presumptive spore cells) move slower than those whose calcium levels are higher (known to be presumptive stalk cells). Slow and fast cells show different distributions of motility-related proteins. The switch is indicative of a bistable mechanism underlying cell motility.

Item Type: Journal Article
Publisher: U B C PRESS
Additional Information: Copy right for this article belongs to UBC Press
Keywords: differentiation;calcium;cytoskeletal organisation;bistability;cellular peristalsis
Department/Centre: Division of Biological Sciences > Molecular Reproduction, Development & Genetics
Date Deposited: 28 Sep 2012 12:37
Last Modified: 28 Sep 2012 12:37
URI: http://eprints.iisc.ac.in/id/eprint/45109

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item