ePrints@IIScePrints@IISc Home | About | Browse | Latest Additions | Advanced Search | Contact | Help

Comparative Studies on the Bioremediation of Hexavalent and Trivalent Chromium using Citrobacter freundii: Part I-Effect of parameters controlling Biosorption

Divyasree, P and Braun, JJ and Subramanian, S (2014) Comparative Studies on the Bioremediation of Hexavalent and Trivalent Chromium using Citrobacter freundii: Part I-Effect of parameters controlling Biosorption. In: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH, 8 (4). pp. 1127-1134.

[img] PDF
int_jou_env_res_8-4_1127_2014.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (295kB) | Request a copy
Official URL: http://ijer.ut.ac.ir/article_829_36.html

Abstract

The potential of Citrobacter freundii, a Gram negative bacteria for the remediation of hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) and trivalent chromium (Cr(III))) from aqueous solutions was investigated. Bioremediation of Cr(VI) involved both biosorption and bioreduction processes, as compared to only biosorption process observed with respect to Cr(III) bioremediation. In the case of Cr(VI) bioremediation studies, about 59 % biosorption was achieved at an equilibrium time of 2 h, initial Cr(VI) concentration of 4 mg/L, pH 1 and a biomass loading of 5x10(11) cells/mL. The remainder, 41 %, was found to be in the form of Cr(111) ions owing to bioreduction of Cr(VI) by the bacteria resulting in the absence of Cr(VI) ions in the residue, there by meeting the USEPA specifications. Similar studies were carried out using Cr(III) solution for an equilibrium time of 2 h, Cr(III) concentration of 4 mg/L, pH 3 and a biomass loading of 6.3x10(11) cells/mL., wherein a maximum biosorption of about 30 % was achieved.

Item Type: Journal Article
Additional Information: Copyright for this article belongs to the UNIV TEHRAN, GRADUATE FAC ENV, NO 20 GHODS ST, ENGHELAB AVE, PO BOX 14155-6135, TEHRAN, 00000, IRAN
Department/Centre: Division of Mechanical Sciences > Materials Engineering (formerly Metallurgy)
Depositing User: Id for Latest eprints
Date Deposited: 14 Dec 2014 11:04
Last Modified: 14 Dec 2014 11:04
URI: http://eprints.iisc.ac.in/id/eprint/50451

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item